Monday, May 9, 2016

Thresholds

"Those who stand at the threshold of life always waiting for the right time to change are like the man who stands at the bank of a river waiting for the water to pass so he can cross on dry land." Joseph B Wirthlin

Part of the journey of a pilgrim on the road to Santiago is held in the passport. This passport not only identifies us as pilgrims, it also allows us to have a meal and one nights lodging in a church. At each church grounds there is a special door for the pilgrims. As Todd and I begin our journey I have reflected on the many thresholds we will cross. The physical thresholds and emotional thresholds. It is in the crossing of the threshold the "old" has is left behind but what is next is still unknown. It is in this moment we choose to open ourselves to new possibilities. To surrender the pain and comforts of the past and "the way things used to be". When we let go of the past we have the opportunity to discover unseen and unexpected support in our journey. Whatever and wherever that journey may be. 

In the few days of our journey thus far I have had to let go of plans and expectations that did not go well for us. They were not part of our plan. It was hard. But in doing so, I have been able to appreciate the many time we have received unexpected help. These "helpers" I carry with me on my way to Santiago!  They bring me added joy in this journey!
 
The pilgrims entrance. 
 
The entrance to San Sebastián/Donostia. 
 La Conch at San Sebastián/Donostia. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this analogy. Have a wonderful journey today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph Wirthlin Jr. is my friend from the East High sophomore football team. He was the center. I played right guard and middle linebacker. He was and is a great example to me. He taught me that even though he didn't approve of the way I was living my life-he cared about me in a way that I could feel and not deny. Eventually it caused me to change the way I believed and behaved. Buen viaje.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful. I hope you're having a fabulous time. Each step matters. I love the idea of leaving burdens behind and embracing what lies ahead. I love this journey.

    ReplyDelete