Thursday, May 12, 2016

The road not taken

 
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
 
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
 
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Today on the Camino de Santiago I was considering the path I was on. There were times we were near the freeway and could hear many cars driving by.  What made me choose the road I am on today?  For both roads lead to Santiago. 

 At some moments I felt I was on the road less traveled by. Then during quite introspection (today was very rainy so Todd and I spoke less to each other) I reflected on the many footsteps that have trodden this path to make it so. The Camino de Santiago is well worn with deep groves from the hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who came before me. 
As I reflected on their journey I was thankful for the path that was created for me. 
Often times we may feel alone when we choose a path, and that we are on the road less traveled by. I disagree with Robert Frost, that in hindsight we see the road we took made all the difference because as human beings we have a desire to comfort ourselves for our current situation. 
I'm grateful for all the roads I have taken because they made me who I am today.  I gratefully acknowledge the experience, history, advice and knowledge of those who have gone before me. It is not in the solitude of the journey but in the humbling and seeking guidance from others that allows me to grow. 
Can you see the puddles & mud?
 
 I'm sopping wet here...& carrying my own backpack. 

 Pilgrim life. 
 

2 comments:

  1. No present: all roads are memories or questions.
    I´m with you both all the way to Santiago, with rain or dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great with you and the backpack and the rain but the biggest thing is the smile. When I went to East I used to walk to school through the Salt Lake Cemetery. Over time I wore a path through the grass. It is a fond memory. I hope your journey continues well.

    ReplyDelete