Thursday, April 28, 2016

“These rocks are too heavy, can't carry them any more,
don't know why i ever picked them up before,
going to have to put them down where they don't belong,
'cause i can't get them back to where they came from.

These rocks belong to no one, except history.
Somewhere between the desert and the rolling sea,
or maybe up in the mountains blue and tall,
I picked them but now i'm going to let them fall.” 
― Jay Woodman

As part of the journey, a pilgrim carries a rock from their home.  As we near Santiago de Compostela, there will be a large pile of rocks.  I will stop and dig my rock from my backpack and cast it into the pile of rocks.  This is a representation of casting my burdens and letting go.  Surrender.  Let God.  Each evening at my work, I get to end the evening with the Serenity Prayer.  While I only say the first verse out loud, I say the second verse in my heart. I love the power in these words:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to know
the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

And so it is.  I will carry my rock as a reminder of my burdens and joyful cast it among the rocks left by many other pilgrims and with it allow my burdens to fall.  


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful symbolism. We all need to get rid of our "rocks," don't we? Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra,
    Your words are so eloquent and inspirational. I will look forward to reading your posts as you embark on your "Way."

    ReplyDelete